Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Romance in Rome

Photobucket

The other day I went for a quick Christmas-shopping in the center and took my camera with me. First of all I went to the fancy italian food boutique called Castroni. Castroni was first opened in 1932 on Via Cola Di Rienzo, just around the corner from the Vatican. You can find absolutely everything in Castroni - from oriental spices to scandinavian gingerbread! And, as I discovered this time, also english shortbread, which my mum insanely loves! I bought the ingredients for the cookies I planned on making later on and then I head to Via Del Corso, the main shopping street that links to the Spanish Steps. Once my shops were made I continued on wondering around the small streets, or vicoli, as they are called in italian, and taking some pictures.

Photobucket


Photobucket

"Torrone in vetrina" - torrone is the typical italian Christmas white sweets. It's made with honey, sugar and hazelnuts.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Via Cola di Rienzo.

Photobucket

Via del Corso. It wasn't as crowded as I expected it to be.. I even managed to take a picture of it!


Photobucket

The piazza that links Via del Corso to Via Condotti, the most exclusive shopping street in the city, at the end of which there is Piazza di Spagna. There were, strangely, two Christmas trees. The nice and fat one you can see on the picture, and then the taller, skinnier tree which you can sightly see from the left edge of the image.. I wonder if the shape of the tree has something to do with the fact that it was infront of the huge Fendi department store... hah!


Photobucket

The chestnut seller! I love chestnuts!! They taste like potates only they're sweeter. In Italy chestnuts are a typical Christmas treat.


Photobucket

Piazza di San Lorenzo in Lucina had this very strange christmas decoration.. Huge christmas packs with names of the shops on the piazza on top of it.. function? ...


Photobucket

Ciampini is one of the most famous Caffès-bar-ice-cream shops in the center. It is known for its very "prestigious" clients like politicians &co.


Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Oh how kitsch!


Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket

Via Condotti.


Photobucket

Via Condotti towards Piazza di Spagna.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

This is a parallel street to Via Condotti. This is the back-entrance, which hasn't been in use for years, of the famous and probably one of th emost expensive bars in Rome called Il Caffè Greco. The coffee is told to be served in golden cups.. probably a myth but apparently a good one as it results to be in the top twenty tourist attraction list.

Photobucket

Piazza di Spagna.


Photobucket

And finally at home...

Photobucket

Preparations for my bisquit-cooking-mission! (Never have I done it before in my life... )

Photobucket

Almonds.. chocolate..

Photobucket


Photobucket

Cooking time boreness...

Photobucket

And tadaaa!! They seem delicious - I haven't tasted them properly, have to wait until the 24th!
These bisquits are called in italian "i fiorentini". You can find different recipes, I read four different ones and at the end invented my own version. I used cream instead of eggs and powder sugar instead of normal sugar. Also I added some grinded orange peel in the mixture which goes perfcetly together with dark chocolate!


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Quick visit to the cinema withmy little sis! The Puss in Boots is such a hilarious cartoon, i recommend it to everyone! I think it was great that Antonio Banderas did the dubbing in italian too so it didn't lose its initial groove..


Photobucket


Photobucket

And finally here I am with my family enjoying our Grinchy Christmas!


Photobucket


Photobucket

Some real gingerbread cookies from Estonia which look better from the actual taste..


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Oh how I had missed my home and Rome... it feels so good again walking around the city, discovering new and old, eternally charming small streets and piazzas, especially now in the holiday spirit! And then those cozy moments at home with family, friends and with your loved one!

I'm wishing you all, my dear readers and followers, relaxing, happy and warm Christmas! Eat, drink and laugh a smuch as you can!!

4 comments:

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

The Xmas decorations you caught on camera are stunningly beautiful!! I also really like the chocolate rack you took a photo of, yum :) Reminded me how I was choosing chocolates to buy at some grocery store in Milan during my visit. I do love your family photos too, thank you for sharing! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

ania said...

my god, how much i miss the city. such a pity i cannot be there at xmas time... happy holidays also to you!

Kadri-Ann said...

jube ilusad pildid!!
kodu on ikka kodu, või mis? :):)
kallid teile ja häid pühi!

veronika said...

hey
happy holidays
I just opened a new blog
hope you will visit
xo

http://livinginwinterpeg.blogspot.com/