Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Farnsworth House

Photobucket
It's my first year studying architecture (specialization starts at third year of liceo) and I really like it. Especially because of my teacher, who is just a genius in what he does. So, after an introduction on perspectives we went on studying main building costruction elements like doors, walls, stairs and windows. A bit boring stuff, but hey- that's the basics. And now we're doing extempores- we had to choose between different famouse architect's projects, study it and then copy it.without using squares- "a mano libera". I chose the Mies van der Rohe "Farnsworth House (1945-1951)". It was the simpliest projects and in the beginning I kinda didn't like my choice. But I did choose it by my instinct.. I just felt it near.. and infact.. although the plan is very minimalistic there are many constructional elements which made the whole thing fun.Estetically it is quite an eye-candy! The house was first commissioned as a place where to enjoy nature and engage one's hobbies like playing the violin, meditation and translating poetry.

Photobucket

It's made entirelly from steel and glass.

Photobucket

The interior couldn't be simplier. Thanks to large windows and white surfaces the light has no limits giving a natural illumination everywhere. We can also see Mies van Der Rohe's Barcellona chairs, which I personally find adorable (I prefer them white)

Photobucket
I like how the harmonical white goes together with every season of the year. It's minimal use of colour underlines the immense beauty of the nature. Basically we do not need nothing else!

You can read more about it here.

2 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

my freshman year of architecture school we had to do a similar excercise but were all assigned the same building - Mies Van Der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion. I didn't like it at first but when I got to see the materials and explore the creative seperation of space, I came to love it. One of my biggest excitements came 2 years ago when I finally got to Barcelona and was able to see it! I knew it so well!

Café Naïveté said...

Yeah.. I think architecture is something you must learn and understand before you really start loving it. But once you love it.. you won't stop!:)
I personally like the Pavilion even more..;)